Am I liable for paying a bill that I just received 20 months after my surgery?

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I liable for paying a bill that I just received 20 months after my surgery?

All other bills were paid in full. Do I have any recourse or is there a statue of limitations on this?

Asked on November 28, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There is a statute of limitations, or time within which they must bring a legal action (which is important because once it is too late to sue, there is no way to enforce the debt, and the debtor can simply ignore it). Unfortunately, in a case like this, the statute of limitations in your state is 6 years: so they can bill you, and sue if necessary, up to 6 years after the surgery. Your belief is understandable and natural, but incorrect, unfortunately; on the other hand, whether they had billed you in 20 days or 20 months, it is still the same amount of money, so their tardiness is not costing you anything extra.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption