I just quit my job and my former employer refuses to pay me for my last week, can I sue him for court cost and attorney fees?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I just quit my job and my former employer refuses to pay me for my last week, can I sue him for court cost and attorney fees?

My former employer claims that I still have some of his paperwork and refuses to pay me my last paycheck. I have a police report where an officer witnessed me returning the employers truck, keys and paperwork. He also stated to that officer that he did owe me and intended to pay Friday but when Friday came he did not pay. Also that money was going as a deposit for my surgery which I have scheduled but now I am unable to have. Can I also sue him for pain and suffering?

Asked on July 16, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your troubles. Generally employers are required to give employees their final pay within 72 hours to 15 days of their leaving.  Some states require that the paycheck include unused vacation days, sick days, etc.  In Washington D.C. it is a 24 hour rule.  These are called "final pay" statutes.  Unfotunatley, Georgia is a state that does not have a final pay statute.  Neither do Alabama or Florida. But that doesn't mean that you could not sue and get your money as well as some additional damages if applicable to your case.  I would start by filing a complaint with your State Department of Labor.  That may scare him enough to pay.  If not you can consult with an attorney in your area about other causes of action that may apply here and the filing of a criminal complaint as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption