I just had my spouse served with papers by a private process server , what do I do next ?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I just had my spouse served with papers by a private process server , what do I do next ?

I have just papers served on my spouse by a
private process server and want to know what I
do next . Do I send off the certificate to prove
he’s been served or do I have to wait for him
New Link Destination
respond first ?. I don’t have a solicitor ,
Please help .

Asked on July 27, 2017 under Family Law, Oklahoma


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

File the proof of service with the court.  Don't wait for a response from your spouse.  The process server can file the proof of service with the court for you, but will charge extra.
When the proof of service is filed with the court, provide the court with the original and a copy so that you can get a conformed (court-stamped) copy for your records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption