Can I move out of my parents’ home if I’m 16?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I move out of my parents’ home if I’m 16?

Asked on July 27, 2015 under Estate Planning, New Hampshire


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can't move out of you parents' home if you are only 16; you must be "of the "age of majority" to do so; that is 18 year old. Until then, your parents are legally responsible for you. If you move out now without their permission, they can have the police bring you back as a runaway.

If you want to move out before your 18th birthday, you'll need to become "emancipated". What you will have to do is to appear in court before a judge and convince them to legally separate you from your parents. If successful, you will be emancipated which means being able to move out. It also means assuming most of the responsibilities of an adult. However, you would need to prove to the court that you can support yourself and have an acceptable place to live.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption