I just got motion granted to reopen divorce. What do I need to do now?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I just got motion granted to reopen divorce. What do I need to do now?

I am a Michigan resident trying to file a divorce from my estranged husband. It is embarrassing to be legally married, while he has left me and our 4 children to be with his 21 year old mistress who just had his child. I can’t afford a lawyer. I have been trying to do this myself for almost a year. I filed, I served him, I attended the mandatory divorce meeting for our county. Later I received a dismissal for

Asked on August 30, 2018 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Ok take a dep breath.  This process can be overwhelming even under the best circumstances.  You need to get legal help.  You sound as if you will qualify for free or low cost help.  The dismissal was likely just procedural, not on the merits.  Did the motion "reinstate" the divorce proceedings?  If it did then likely you can proceed on the original complaint.  Here is a link to try and help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption