IfI got a DUI and need to leave the country for 2 weeks, can I still go?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI got a DUI and need to leave the country for 2 weeks, can I still go?

I just got a DUI and have a plane ticket to go to Spain in about 2 months. What can I do so that I am still able to go? I have never had anything like this on my record and have never been in any trouble before. I’m not sure what my blood alcohol content was because I haven’t gotten the results back yet. I didn’t refuse the blood test so I think that I will only lose my license for 3 months.

Asked on January 22, 2011 under Criminal Law, Vermont


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It is probably best for you to go and to seek help from an attorney in your area.  In other words, hire a good DUI/DWI attorney as soon as you can.  The attorney will be able o help facilitate the matter in the best light possible for you.  Given the fact that you are planning on leaving the country for 2 weeks it is best to get a plan in to action as soon as you can. It is doubtful that you will be placed on a "no fly" list so that if you tried to board the plane you would be detained but it generally a good idea not to leave the country while there is a criminal proceeding in place.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption