How to get out of a vehicle purchase?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get out of a vehicle purchase?

I just brought a vehicle and had it 1 week. I’ve taken it back twice they kept it 3 days and problems with vehicle is still not fixed. I would like to get out of this contract. Does this qualify under the lemon law?

Asked on September 8, 2012 under General Practice, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) If it's a new, or a still-fairly new (withing warranty period) car, your state's Lemon Law may apply. As the state itself says, the requirements/criteria are fairly specific, so you would be best served contacting your state Department of Motor Vehicles about the  situation, to see if it applies and they can help you. I've included a helpful link at the bottom of this answer.

2) If the seller knew or reasonably should have known (that is, any seller in that position must have known) of the problem(s) and concealed them from you in making the sale, that may be fraud. Fraud can provide a basis for either rescinding the transaction (return car, get money back) or seeking monetary compensation. If you think fraud may have been committed, consult with an attorney in detail about the situation.

Here's the link:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption