I is legal for a auto insurance company to force you to put a child in your house on your policy when he does not operate your car?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I is legal for a auto insurance company to force you to put a child in your house on your policy when he does not operate your car?

Geico put my nephew who is 17 on my policy when he does not operate my car and I cannot afford to pay 700.00 a month for the policy. What can I do?

Asked on August 14, 2018 under Insurance Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

All you can do is try to quote out cheaper insurance elsewhere. You have a driving-age person in your household: your insurer can require you to put him on the policy because he *could* after all operate your car. You simply telling them that he won't isn't enough, since you could be lying, change your mind, not be good about securing your car or keys so he takes it without your permission, etc. They are not obligated to sell you insurance--it is voluntary on their part to insure you. It being voluntary on their part, they can put any requirements on it that they like, such as that you include all potental drivers in your household on your policy, if they are not covered under another's policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption