I invested over $300,000 in a property in Baja Mexico, with a now ex boyfriend. Do I have any legal recourse to get my money back?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I invested over $300,000 in a property in Baja Mexico, with a now ex boyfriend. Do I have any legal recourse to get my money back?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Your first problem is that you will need to follow whatever the laws are in Mexico for such an investment. In short I will say that the biggest obstacle will be determining your right to the property or your percentage. As i do not have specifics I would advise you to speak with a local real estate attorney who may be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

The issues are whether the property is in your name joint or his name. If in your name that will help a lot. Also look through your finances see if you can show a money trail proving it was your personal money being invested. These are the two main obstacles. Other than that it depends on the laws of the area

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption