I installed hardwood flooring in the property i was a tenant in, I was not paid, and now received a summons to evict

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I installed hardwood flooring in the property i was a tenant in, I was not paid, and now received a summons to evict

My mother is divorcing my stepdad, He was living in my moms place, I lived in his townhouse. He wanted to upgrade the flooring in 2018. I ended up doing 75 of the installation and I was not compensated at all. I am and now being summoned to leave the property as well. Is this a matter that I can take to small claims court in Arizona? I spent a whole 3 weeks installing this wood flooring and would like to be compensated for the work that I did. Your answer is appreciated

Asked on October 3, 2019 under Business Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can only be compensated IF there had been an agreement in place that you would be paid for the work: if there was such an agreement (whether written or unwritten [oral]) you can enforce it. Note however that while an oral or unwritten agreement would be enforceable, it clearly can be much more difficult to prove the existence or terms of it in court, if your stepfather denies that such an agreement existence or how much he owes you under it.
However, in the absence of such an agreement--that is, if you did the work before getting an agreement or committment from him to pay you--you have no right to compensation; you essentially gifted him the floor and your labor in this case. When you do something for someone without them first agreeing to pay or compensate you for it, you cannot after-the-fact make them pay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption