What to do if I inherited a property that had a room added without permits?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I inherited a property that had a room added without permits?

The county now wants me to legalize the addition or have it demolished. Can they force me into it? I have no money to do either legalization or demolition. I have been receiving threatening letters from the county if I do not comply I will be penalized or put in jail but I cannot afford any of it nor can I sell the property (mother-in-law has a life estate there). What shall I do?

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have to comply or face the consequences. It does not matter that the unlawful addition was added by someone else and you inherited the home: the current owner of a home is responsible for ensuring that it is code compliant. So just as if you'd bought a house with an illegal addition, you'd have to bring it into compliance, so, too, do you have to bring the house you inherited into compliance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption