How best to protect inherited money in the event that my spouse is sued?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to protect inherited money in the event that my spouse is sued?

I inherited $400K from my father several years ago and for simplicity purposes it was put into a joint account. My wife acknowledges that this money was purposely meant for me and that she would inherit it upon my death through a Will that is in place. Even after extensive treatment, she continues to receive DUI’s. We have 3 minor children and she is actually the primary breadwinner now and I take care of kids. If I were to put this money in my name alone, would it be protected from plaintiffs in legal action or would all of my personal assets be subject to them? We have $1.3M in liability insurance which wouldn’t go far.

Asked on January 5, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Ok, you need to go and sit down with someone to do a little estate planning here.  I understand about the whole agreement about the money and the Will but for all intensive purposes you co-mingled the money here and now it looks like it is marital property.  So yes, I would speak with someone about taking it out and putting it in your name alone, although I think you may have messed that up here.  You should also talk to someone about placing you personal assets - all of them - in a trust for the benefit of the children, possibly irrevocable given the circumstances here, and the legal ramifications of it all. Possibly give you and your wife a life estate in the house. Something to protect you "in case."  Get help now.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption