Will the international travel be considered as a break in my continuous residence?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will the international travel be considered as a break in my continuous residence?

I immigrated to the US 3 years ago and stayed for 5 months April – September before going to my country of origin with a re-entry permit. I returned exactly 1 day before the one year period due to certain complications with the re-entry permit and have been in the US since then September 2013. When can I apply for naturalization?

Asked on September 1, 2015 under Immigration Law, Georgia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You have to have been physically present in the country for at least 1/2 of the 5 years you need to be a permanent resident in order to apply for citizenship.  That almost 1 year abroad could have possibly restarted your physical presence time although you would have only had 5 months before that.  I would say that to be on the safe side, you will want to apply no earlier than about April 2016.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption