What are my rights if I hurt my back working on my parents’ property?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I hurt my back working on my parents’ property?

Their homeowner’s insurer paid the medical bills up to a $1000 but now it has stopped paying the bills and my back is in constant pain; further medical treatment is needed. It refuses to pay any more bills. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on March 27, 2015 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your parents, if you believe they were at-fault in causing your injury (and are willing to sue them): that's because you have no claim directly against their insurer, but rather have to establish a claim against them. If they are found to be at fault, either they will have to pay or, if their insurance covers that claim, the insurer will pay for them. Note that simply because you were hurt working on their property does NOT, by itself, make them liable; for them to owe you money for your injury, they must have done something careless, or negligent, to cause it, like having some unsafe condition on their property which they knew about but did not fix. If they did nothing wrong, they would not be liable; you'd have to pay your own costs yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption