How canI see an original trust document?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI see an original trust document?

My father passed away and he left a living trust. The trust was placed under my sister’s control; at the time I was under very heave medication. I never saw the original trust but the paperwork that I was given had been changed. I need to know where I can find the original trust document or a certified copy to see what my father wanted. She did everything in private and I never saw what the trust had to say. My father was not a rich man but in his lifetime he did good. There is about $1.5 M involved.

Asked on November 27, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to find out if there is an attorney who handled the trust. If so, you need to talk to that lawyer about obtaining a copy of the trust, since the lawyer should have a notarized and legal version of the trust, if not the original itself for safekeeping. If that is not highly likely a situation, you need to ask your sister or sue her in court if you feel and have legal evidence to believe she is wasting trust assets or not giving you what is owed to you if you are listed as a beneficiary. If she is the trustee, she has a fiduciary responsibility to both the trust, its assets and debts and to you as among the beneficiaries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption