If I hit a person on a bike but they were not injured, should I call my insurance company and should I be worried about being sued?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I hit a person on a bike but they were not injured, should I call my insurance company and should I be worried about being sued?

The police were called and an ambulance and fire EMT’s reported. The cyclist signed a refusal for treatment with the ambulance said just wanted me to pay for damage to bike.

Asked on October 20, 2012 under Personal Injury, Mississippi


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should call your insurance company and let them handle it.  This is why you have insurance.  If the cyclist, indeed, is not hurt, your insurance company can pay for the bike and obtain a release of all liability.  Your insurance contract probably says that you have an obligation to report potential claims promptly.  Failure to do so may mean your insurance will not pay if this thing escalates into trouble.

I cannot tell you whether to worry about being sued, and what I say will probably make no difference.  Depending on your personality, you will or won't worry (you probably will since you asked the question).  Your insurance company knows how to handle things like this and you can trust them to do it.

It is probably tempting to try and hide this from your insurance company so that your rates don't go up or you don't get sued or something else.  I recommend you resist that temptation.  Hiding things or trying to manipulate them usually ends badly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption