What will happen if I hit a parked car without auto insurance?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I hit a parked car without auto insurance?

I was driving the speed limit downy the road when all of a sudden my car jerked to

the right and smashed into a parked car. I have been having that issue with my car all week but it never led to this problem. Ultimately I was on my dad’s insurance previously but I learned after the incident that he gotten rid of his policy ultimately terminating mine. So I hit this car and am now aware that I don’t have insurance and I’m not sure what to do at all.

Asked on October 31, 2016 under Accident Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since you did not have auto insurance, you will be sued for negligence by the owner of the parked car for property damage (cost of repairs).  If you are a minor, your parents will be named as defendants in the lawsuit.
If the owner of the parked car had uninsured motorist coverage on his/her auto insurance policy, an uninsured motorist claim will be filed through that insurance company and that insurance company will then sue you (and your parents if you are a minor) for negligence to recover the amount it paid on the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption