What to do regarding a parked car that I hit and I have no insurance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding a parked car that I hit and I have no insurance?

I recently hit a parked car and went inside the business to notify the person. They came outside and there was scratches; I have pictures and it’s truly nothing. Even the estimate they gave me only show paint work. That costs around $700. The person then followed up by saying that it may be damage underneath but again I have pictures. What can I do because I’m not for sure and I don’t have the money to pay?

Asked on September 5, 2018 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are liable for negligence for hitting the parked car.  Your liability includes damage caused by hitting the car. 
As for damage underneath, you can challenge that in court by using the estimate that only showed "paint work".
If you are unable to pay, you will still be sued by the car owner's insurance company.  If you are unable to pay, a court judgment against you can be enforced with a wage garnishment.
You may be subject to additional penalties for being uninsured depending on the applicable law in Florida.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption