If I hit a car from behind and they have my tag number, what shouldI do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I hit a car from behind and they have my tag number, what shouldI do?

It was raining and my car slid into the back of a vehicle. We stopped the husband got out, came to my car, and said that no one was hurt. Since it was raining so hard I asked if we could move away from on-coming traffic. He said OK. I went to pull off the road. His wife started yelling and cursing at me. I left. They followed behind me, drove around, and blocked me in on a 2-way bridge. His wife got out of the car and stood in front of my truck . She had something in her hand. I backed up and drove around her. Should I speak to an attorney? In King County, WA.

Asked on September 30, 2010 under Accident Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You should notify your insurance company of the auto accident.  If the case is just property damage, the other driver should resolve it with your insurance company.  Injuries in an auto accident such as a rear-end collision may not manifest themselves immediately.  If injuries to the occupants of the other vehicle occur later, that personal injury claim would be handled separately from the property damage claim by your insurance carrier.  When they finish their medical treatment, they will submit the medical bills, medical reports and any wage loss.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of the injuries and will be used to determine the amount of compensation for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for the medical bills and wage loss is straight reimbursement.  If the injured party is dissatisfied with settlement offers from your insurance carrier, they could file a lawsuit against you for negligence.  Your insurance carrier will provide you with an attorney at no cost.

If you are charged with leaving the scene of an accident, you should check with your insurance company to see if their attorney will represent you.  The attorney for your insurance company might decline to represent you in that case.  If that occurs, you should retain an attorney.  If you can't afford an attorney, the court may appoint an attorney to represent you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption