If I hit a car after backing out of my driveway, what is my liability?

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I hit a car after backing out of my driveway, what is my liability?

The other car was parked across neighbor’s driveway in weird place and it was night so I didn’t see it. We exchanged insurance information and my insurance company paid for the repairs and a rental car during that time. However, the person I hit wants more money as he says he was “inconvenienced” and had to rent an “equivalent car” that cost more than what my company wanted to pay for. He’s asking me for more money. Does he have legal standing to get it? Should I pay it to him to avoid being sued? Doesn’t the insurance company pay him what is legally set as being what needs to be paid?

Asked on November 22, 2014 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If he signed an agreement, release, or settlement with your insurance company saying that he was being paid in satisfaction of all claims, he can't sue now--check with your insurer about this.

If he didn't sign an agreement saying that he was being paid in full satisfaction (or otherwise couldn't sue), he can try to sue for any amount not paid by your insurer. However, 1) there is no compensation for "inconvenience," and 2) while he may be entitled to the difference between what your insurer paid for rental and what he had to pay, he's limited to a reasonable  rental--so, for example, if he had a luxury car, he's typically not entitled to rent one at a premium so he's driving something "equivalent," but could only rent an equivalently *sized* car at reasonable rates. Therefore, he most likely does not have good claim, from what you write.

If he is threatening suit, turn the matter back over to your insurer; they should help you resolve this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption