What to do if I hit a bicycle rider yesterday?

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I hit a bicycle rider yesterday?

He came the wrong way down a one way street and crossed in front of my car without stopping for oncoming traffic. He suffered a small contusion on his head and went to emergency. I was not charged with any traffic violation. There was no damage to my car and the only damage his bike incurred was a bent rear wheel. He wants me to pay for his bike to be repaired and his medical bills. Am I liable and do I need to contact my insurance company?

Asked on March 24, 2013 under Accident Law, New Jersey


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

you are liable only if negligent.  sounds like you were not.  don't pay.  since he made a demand on you , turn it in to your insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption