I have worked for wal-mart as a full-time employee for almost 3 years now. As of 2 mo. ago they have given me less than full-time hours, less than 30

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have worked for wal-mart as a full-time employee for almost 3 years now. As of 2 mo. ago they have given me less than full-time hours, less than 30

they have shortened my hours, with out telling me..thay have done this to several other full-time sales associates also, my question is what can I do to fight back and get my regular hours back? And they are pulling me all over the place to work in the store, even though I’m assigned to 1 area as my job title..what can I do to fight back, I’m a single mom and need to keep working, please help me..thanks lori korito

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You're going to have to either grin and bear it, keep working when and where they assign you, or find another job.  You don't have a contract, so you are an at-will employee.  The company doesn't need a reason at all, under the law, to fire you, cut your hours, or reassign you.  If they aren't using illegal discrimination to pick which people get this treatment, they aren't breaking the law.

If you think there is something you haven't mentioned here that makes a difference, please have a lawyer in your area review the whole situation.  One place to find an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption