i have water damage from a improper installation of a air conditioning unit and my homeowers will not pay what ccan i do

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i have water damage from a improper installation of a air conditioning unit and my homeowers will not pay what ccan i do

i did not own the home when the unit was installed in 1996 we have also recently redid our loan (fha) and borrowed extra money to put a garage in and install a outside wood stove the people who put the store in found all the damage and now i have a 900.00 house payment and a house not worth over 20000 and my insurance denied the claim is there anything i can do

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


Sean C Santoro / Santoro Traffic Law Office

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Sean Santoro

Attorney at Law

Licensed in KS and MO

    Have you read your insurance policy to verify the denial of coverage? Did you have the home inspected by a professional before purchase? You may have little recourse, after all this time, unless we can get the insuror to reverse its decision. If you need me to review your policy, feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at 913 441 5025.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should not give up immediately on the insurance claim--read your policy for yourself, and if it looks like the insurer should pay (that you are covered), resubmit or appeal the claim; if necessary, and if yoiui think you're in the right, you could even file a complaint with your state's division of insurance.

However, if you can't get your insurer to pay, you may have very little recourse. It's almost impossible to go and sue for work done on a home by a contractor before you owned it for many reasons--you weren't the ones who contracted with the contractor; you bought the home, which means that accepted the home in the condition it was when you closed; etc. Also, if the work was done in '96, that's almost certainly past an statute of limitations for suing.

Possibly, if you had a home inspector and the damage was something that he/she really should have noticed, you might be able to sue him or her for negligence (basically, "malpractice")--if they'd found the damage, you'd have had the opportunity to negotiate the price down and/or get the seller to make repairs. But that would only fly if the damage was something that should have been completely obvious to an inspector, so you can make the case he/she took your money w/out doing the job. If the damange was inside a wall, say, and not obvious or accessible, then there's no way to hold the inspector liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption