If I have 2 daughters from a previous marriage, what are the proper steps for my new wife to take to adopt them?to take?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have 2 daughters from a previous marriage, what are the proper steps for my new wife to take to adopt them?to take?

Their biological mother is barely in the picture seeing them only once a week, but usually less. She hardly pays for anything. I got remarried and would like for my wife to stepparent adopt my daughters. Should we inform my ex-wife of this or get a lawyer and prepare for court.

Asked on November 27, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In order for your new wife to adopt your children the biological mother must agree in writing to allow such where she gives up all rights as the parent via a court order. I suggest that you may want to consult with a family law attorney about the above process. It all hinges upon whether the biological mother wishes to let your wife adopt your children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption