If I have 2 charges on my record, which of these should I seal or expunge to be able to find a job and not effect my future?

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have 2 charges on my record, which of these should I seal or expunge to be able to find a job and not effect my future?

One is domestic violence 1st degree misdeamenor with charges dropped; the other is a stalking with 6 months probation.

Asked on March 21, 2013 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would strongly suggest that you seek help from an attorney in your are on this matter and in attempting to eradicate your records.  In Florida,  you can only have your record expunged if the State Attorney dropped the charges or the court dismissed the case completely.  If that is what happened for the DV charge then go ahead and start that process. But for the stalking, if you entered a plea - which it sounds like you sis - the law only allows you to have your records sealed. Then, after ten years of staying out of trouble, you may apply to have your record expunged.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption