If I have some discrepancy with the police report, I’m wondering if it’s worth fighting in court or possible to get the charges lowered?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have some discrepancy with the police report, I’m wondering if it’s worth fighting in court or possible to get the charges lowered?

I caught a possession charge for THC. In the report “Arbitrator” was recording the entire time. “asked Nicholas to step out of the vehicle” The cop really pulled open my door and escorted me out of the vehicle. “asked if I could search Nicholas and he stated that I could” The cop really pushed me up against the car and thrust his hands into my pockets. “stated that he had found it at school” I clearly said I found it in a ditch. TL;DR Escorted out of the vehicle and searched without being asked for consent. Reporting office stated I said “I found it at school” I really said “found in ditch”.

Asked on June 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney with respect to the issues that you have raised as to inconsistent statements in a police report that presumably led to your arrest. He or she would be in a much better position to assist you concerning this matter given the seriousness of the charges.

Given the complicated nature of the matter that you are writing about, it is difficult to give an opinion as to what the discrepancies that you have written about would end up possibly giving you as far as lesser charges filed as to you as to the possession charge.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption