What to do if my employer has misappropriated funds?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my employer has misappropriated funds?

I have several issues that I need guidance on, all stemming from the same employer. Twice this year the employer has taken retirement fund contributions from my check but not passed them. Only when lack of deposits were spotted in my account and the issue was addressed by me did the funds get sent to the plan supervisor. In both instances it took more than 90 days for the funds to reach my account. Also, regarding short-term disability, it comes out of my check but my employer did not pay the insurance premium so my coverage lapsed. Finally, my employer is a manager of a non-profit which receives state funding and the consensus is that employer is embezzling funds. Not sure how to get proof.

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that your employer is misappropriating funds due you and other employees or are actually owned by you and others, you need to make an appointment with a representative with the local department department of labor and/or a labor attorney.

It is imperative to get this issue brought to the attention of third parties sooner rather than later before the assets are lost and cannot be retrieved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption