I have outstanding money from an individual. He refuses to pay. All i have is emails as proof of the amounts owed. What can i do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have outstanding money from an individual. He refuses to pay. All i have is emails as proof of the amounts owed. What can i do?

I have given an individual an amount for an investment and was promised a return as from March 2018, which I have not yet received. He also took a contract on my name which he had agreed to pay but no payment was made. There are also small loans and cellphones in his possession. I only have emails. Requested documents have not been sent to me

Asked on September 6, 2018 under Business Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You sue him: a lawsuit is how you get money from someone who owes you but does not pay. You would sue him for "breach of contract": that is, for violating his agreement to pay. You would have to show in court, whether by documentation and/or by credible (believable) testimony (i.e. your in-court testimony) that there was an agreement between the two of you, that you did what you were supposed to (e.g. paid), and that he has not done his part (e.g. given you a return or share of proceeds, or reimbursed you for the contract). If the amount is less than the limit for small claims court, suing in small claims, as your own attorney or "pro se," is a cost-effective, fast option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption