If I haven’t had custody of my son sense he was a baby and now he has gotten into criminal trouble, can I be held legally responsible for costs?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I haven’t had custody of my son sense he was a baby and now he has gotten into criminal trouble, can I be held legally responsible for costs?

My son has been getting in a lot of trouble. He is 17 now and has been arrested, put in juvenile hall, been on home supervision several times. He continues to get in trouble. I have not had custody or and parental rights for 10 years. Now I have the court telling me I am responsible. I had nothing to do with his upingbring. His father and grandmother brought him up. I am the only one with a job and stable income. I have R&R calling me and harassing me. What kind of lawyer do I need? I don’t need his troublesome behavior effecting my credit and income.

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written with respect to your son, the attorney to consult with is an attorney that does family law and criminal law.

If you have had no legal custody of your son for 10 years nor any parental rights as to him for that time period, I have a hard time understanding from a factual and legal standpoint how you can be responsible for his inappropriate behavior. From what you have written in your question, I do not see how you would be legally responsible for his recent actions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption