What to do if I have no running water in my apartment due to a frozen pipe?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have no running water in my apartment due to a frozen pipe?

The manager here told me to turn my heater up as hot as I could stand it, and to turn on all of my faucets. It’s been over 12 hours and still nothing. I can’t get a hold of anyone, and they keep sending me to a call center to say they won’t be notifying my manager about the problem anymore. I can’t flush my toilets, bathe my infant, wash my hands, or take a shower. Is there anything I do? How long do I have to live without water before I can do anything?

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about the frozen pipe situation seems to be a temporary situation due to inclement weather. I suggest that you temporary stay with a friend that has water to do what you need to do and ask the property manager to to call you when your unit has running water.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption