What do I do if I have no job due to my child’s health problems and just learned I have a court date for a credit card 3rd party suing me?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I have no job due to my child’s health problems and just learned I have a court date for a credit card 3rd party suing me?

I have a 3rd party suing me on behalf of a credit card company that I defaulted on. It was originally $400 but it’s now $1200 including court fees. I have no job due to taking care of my child with health problems. I have no bank account. I do not own my house. My husband says he will make payments on it but since his is the only income, it can only be like $50 a month. My court day is in 2 days. What is my best course of action from this point?

Asked on February 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best thing that you can do concerning the upcoming court action against you for monies owed is to attend the court date in person and try and negotiate a monthly payment plan in writing for the amount that you believe is owed. If you reach an accord, make sure the written agreement for the monthly payment plan is signed by the creditor and that you get a copy of the agreement.

Assuming you have an agreement in place, make every effort to make the monthly amount due on time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption