If I’ve lost my job and have become disabled due to osteoarthritis, how can I get out of debt?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’ve lost my job and have become disabled due to osteoarthritis, how can I get out of debt?

Other than SSD, I see nothing in the future as to how to pay for anyof my credit cards or other debts; surgery for my hand alone is $15,000. My friend suggested bankruptcy. I don’t know anything about it or what to ask? I have no assets and barely a car.

Asked on March 26, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to file bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which eliminates your debts.

It would be advisable to contact a bankruptcy attorney.  Your County  Bar association may have a lawyer referral service that can refer you to a bankruptcy attorney.  The attorney will interview you and will obtain all the necessary information for filing your bankruptcy.  Information needed for the bankruptcy schedules (forms) includes the names, addresses and account numbers of all of your creditors including any collection agencies, your monthly income and expenses, and estimates of the value of various items of your personal property.  The bankruptcy is effective upon being filed with the court.  The court sends notice to all of your creditors which is why the creditor information is needed on the bankruptcy forms. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption