How to modify a divorce settlement regarding custody/child support?

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to modify a divorce settlement regarding custody/child support?

I have just finalized my divorce 2 weeks ago; there is no spousal support and no child support due from either party, 50/50 time sharing. My ex-husband took a new job out of state and leaves in 5 weeks. We make about the same amount of money per month. How do I fix my papers and get child support calculated accurately? I cannot hire a lawyer. What do I need to do to cover my bases for the future? I have 2 children (5 and 8) we are both members of the military.

Asked on November 24, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with your local legal aid office to assist you regarding filing a petition with the court to modify child custody and support issues if your "ex" will not sign a stipulation for such subject to a court order since you cannot afford to hire private counsel.

I suggest that you file the petition sooner rather than later since the "ex" will be shortly leaving your state of residence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption