What can I do if I have investments and a house and don’t want my new husband to inherit what is my children’s?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I have investments and a house and don’t want my new husband to inherit what is my children’s?

I have 3 children from a previous marriage.

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Estate Planning, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You ned to go and seek help from an attorney in your area or an estate planner.  As it appears that you are already married, you should enter in to an ante-nuptial agreement having him waive his rights to the property and investments.  If he will not do that, then you need to make sure that the house and investments remain "separate property" and that ther eis no intent to make it marital property.  But the reason that you need to seek legal help besides is that a portion of your estate will go to your husband automatically upon your death if there is no Will.  And if there is a Will and you do not leave him enough that is required under the law, your state may allow him to "elect" against the Will to get his share.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption