If I was replaced by a younger worker, do I have a claim for age discrimination?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was replaced by a younger worker, do I have a claim for age discrimination?

I have had a year round full-time job with a company for the last 8 years. I was just informed that position was being downgraded to a seasonal manager and that someone else would be given my year round status. They told me I would still have my job but it would only be for 7 months of the year. A much younger person was put in my year round position. The reason I was given was that my salary was too much and they needed to put someone in that position that made less money. Do I have an age discrimination case? Or something else? Or nothing?

Asked on September 9, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Are you at least 40? If you are, then you may have an age discrimination case employers may not discriminate against those 40 or older in favor of younger employees, not even to reduce wage/salary costs. If you are 40 or older, it would be worth your while to contact the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission EEOC or your state equal/civil rights agency to file a complaint.
However, if you are less than 40 you are not protected, and an employer may legally discriminate against, say, a 38 year old in favor of a 23 year old.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption