If I have disputed a collection charge anda collection agencysent me a validation that I still disagree with, what can I do next?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have disputed a collection charge anda collection agencysent me a validation that I still disagree with, what can I do next?

I moved out of an apartment last month which upon move in I paid a $250 non-refundable deposit. I received a letter from a collections agency last week stating that I owed them $597 on behalf of my old apartment complex for cleaning and damages (I never received a letter from the apartment complex). I cleaned the apartment from top to bottom so this can not be true. I sent a certified letter to them on Friday asking that they validate the debt. They sent me my lease as well as a move out statement which summarizes the cost of the fees. I still do not agree with these charges.

Asked on August 10, 2011 Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should write the third party debt collection company another letter in response to the last correspondence sent you containing the lease and "move out" statement that summarizes the cost of the fees responding to each item one by one stating the reasons why you do not believe you are responsible for these charges.

In your letter reference:

1. you never received correspondence from the apartment complex regarding these charges;

2. request documentation from the third party collection agency showing that it is authorized by your former landlord to be contacting you about your former rental;

3. if true, advise the third party collection agency that under most state laws, there is no such thing as a $250.00 non-refundable deposit in that such is in violation of public policy in landlord tenant situations;

4. advise the third party collection agency that the $250.00 security deposit is due to be returned to you immediately and the landlord's failure to return such very well could be a violation of state law.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption