What to do if I have contractor working on my house and he has been paid 3/4 of his bid and the work has yet to be completed?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have contractor working on my house and he has been paid 3/4 of his bid and the work has yet to be completed?

I believe he is in breach of his own contract because the very first line says that half of the box is to be paid for all materials. And he has been paid more than half and has not completed any work. What can I do to get my money back and him off my property?

Asked on September 5, 2015 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that he has violated the terms of his contract and cannot work it out voluntarily with him, your recourse is to sue him for breach of contract in a such a suit, you typically sue for monetary compensation for the breach e.g. for the cost to have someone else complete the work and/or the return of some of your money if he has done any useful/correct work, he would generally be permitted to keep an amount commensurate with that work. You would need to prove the terms of the contract, which should not be hard--you can refer to the contract itself that you complied with your obligations e.g. paid at least as much as you were supposed to and that he has failed to honor his plain obligations, e.g. completion dates, under the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption