If I bought a house with an easement, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I bought a house with an easement, what are my rights?

It has 1.3 acres of land. It is surrounded by somebody else’s land. There is only 1 driveway up to the house and I have an easement to it. What are my rights for the easement and can I block it off to where they have to make a new driveway to get to their land off the gravel road? Their land runs about a half mile along the gravel road.

Asked on November 25, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your easement would let you access the driveway to get to your land, but does not give you any rights beyond that. In particular, it would not let you control another person's land or block their access to any part of their own property, including the part if the driveway on their land. So you could not block off any part of their driveway, other than the part solely on your own land (assuming that they do not in turn have any easements to that part of the driveway).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption