What can I do if I’ve been questioned about my religious beliefs and now have not be scheduled to work any hours for 2 weeks?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’ve been questioned about my religious beliefs and now have not be scheduled to work any hours for 2 weeks?

I have been working at a pizzeria for the last 5 months. During my time there I have received constant conflicting instructions on how to carry out my job as well as having a sense of being outcast. I was approached early in my employment on whether or not I was a Christian. I am not but I do respect all religions. When asked if I believed in Jesus, I replied I did not but I agreed with his teachings; out of a sign of respect. During this holiday season I have been constantly asked about how I plan on celebrating Christmas. I have been to worried to reply that I don’t celebrate it, so I have just answered with, “I’m not sure yet”. However, both last week and this week I have been told that there are no hours for me.

Asked on December 27, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

d on what you write, you may have suffered illegal religion-based employment discrimination and may have a legal claim for compenation. Employers are not allowed to harass (e.g. repeatedly question, or make feel  uncomfortable) or discriminate against (e.g. reduce hours or pay) of employees due to their religion, which is what has apparently happened to you. You may wish to contact the federal EEOC or your state or city equal/civil rights agency to file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption