I have been the only heir paying property tax and upkeep and repairs. Can i get full ownership?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have been the only heir paying property tax and upkeep and repairs. Can i get full ownership?

I am one of several heirs to a parcel of property but the only one who has been paying the property taxes and upkeep and repairs of the vacant house and land for over 25 years. Can I get full title to ownership?

Asked on August 28, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, paying the property taxes, upkeep and repairs, and/or other expenses (e.g. insurance; mortgage) does NOT give you full ownership over the land or deprive the other owners of their ownership interests. However, it may entitle you to a larger share of the proceeds if the property is sold, and if the other heirs will not voluntarily agree to let you have more money, if you were to bring a legal action in this regard, it is likely the court would give you a larger share.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption