I have been separated for 17 years

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have been separated for 17 years

An I can find my x to file the devorice
papers. Were do I start. He left me with
nothing an homeless for a month.

Asked on January 21, 2018 under Family Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can still file for divorce.  You can serve your ex with your divorce documents as follows:
First, his address should be on the documents he filed.  
If it is an incorrect address, have a process server do a skip trace to locate him so that he can be served.
If the skip trace is unsuccessful, your ex can be served by publication which is running the notice of your filing for divorce in the legal notices section of a newspaper for a set period of time.  The court clerk can tell you how long the notice has to run in the newspaper for effective service by publication because the time period varies from state to state.  Service by publication is effective even if your ex never sees the notice in the newspaper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption