If Ihave been paying on a debt for the last 7 years and now they want to raise the amount I must pay monthly, is this legal?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ihave been paying on a debt for the last 7 years and now they want to raise the amount I must pay monthly, is this legal?

I have faithfullly paid $60 a month for the last 7 years per our agreement being late only twice and early numerous times. I received a letter demanding $150 or more a month. I contacted them and said I could not afford that amount and would contiue to pay the 60 until its paid in full (the amount is over $60,000 from an auto accident that occurred 11 years ago). Then then replied I must submit my last 3 pay stubs and all my bills. I do not want to give them this info as I am afraid they will garnish my wages. What can I do?

Asked on August 25, 2011 Ohio


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Good afternoon,

Thanks for reaching out and posting on our site. To get right to the point a creditor is not bound to accept an amount and are well within their rights to demand more. If they already have a judgment they can proceed to garn your wages if that is the route they would like to take. If you have an agreement that is signed were both parties indefinitely agreed to the $60 a month you may be able to use that and if needed motion to court if the creditor does begin garning your wages.

However that agreement may have been voided when you were late, i do not know the language of the agreement but many have a clause such as this.

Unfortunately, the creditor can look to increase the amount due, and because of the large amount owed it may be because if you pay $60 a month you may never pay the entire debt and the creditor may be trying to avoid that possibility.

You may want to consult a local attorney with the paperwork to discuss the legalities and your options in greater details

Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption