I have been on paid leave for 2 weeks for a claim of harassment, what should I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have been on paid leave for 2 weeks for a claim of harassment, what should I do?

I was told 2 weeks ago that I have to turn in my company phone and credit card and was sent home pending an investigation for harassment. It has been 2 weeks and I have heard nothing back, except from the HR manager that they are working on it. They won’t tell me an ETA or any information on the claim. I haven’t harassed anyone nor can think of a time that I have. I have held people accountable but it is my job to ensure people are doing the correct job they are paid to do. What should I do?

Asked on January 3, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Hawaii


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There really isn't anything that you can do. That is unless you have a union agreement or employment contract that gives you protection in this situation. Also, your treatment must not constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination/retaliation (which it does not appear to). The fact is that most employment arrangements are "at will", which means that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption