What to do if I have been divorced about 4 years now and lately my ex-husband won’t let me see my son?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have been divorced about 4 years now and lately my ex-husband won’t let me see my son?

My ex has physical custody and we both have joint custody of our son. The reason he won’t let me see him is cause he wants me back and I said no. I’m currently in a stable relationship living with someone for the past 2 1/2 years now. What are my options and by the way I am unemployed; lost my job 8 months ago and looking for one every since then. I am scared to death with all of this. What can I do?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you have a child custody and visitation order in effect with the court concerning your son, you need to speak with your "ex" as to the need for him to abide by it. Follow up with a letter confirming the conversation demanding compliance with the visitation schedule. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

If there is no compliance with the visitation schedule, you then need to consult with a family law attorney to file a petition with the court for adherence to the visitation order. If you cannot afford a family law attorney, contact the local legal aid clinic in your county to see what assistance can be offered you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption