If I have been contacted by a debt collections company regarding debt that is not mine, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have been contacted by a debt collections company regarding debt that is not mine, what can I do?

It is for a cell phone account. The address is one I have never lived at; the phone number is for an area code I have never lived in; I have never used this provider I did check my credit report. The provider did access my information 8 months ago, at the time this account was opened. The person I spoke with also said I need to get this taken care of because “we do report and this would come back to bite me”. Could this could possibly be a threat under the FDCPA?

Asked on January 17, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to be careful about giving any personal information regarding yourself to the oerson who is calling you about this account that you supposedly owe money on. There are many scams out there to prey upon people like you.

The conversations that you have had with the debt collection company's representative does not sound like a violation under federal and state law regarding unfair debt collection practices.

I suggest that you get a credit report statement regarding yourself to actually see if the claimed account is cross referenced with your name. I suggest that you try and get as much information about the person and the company he or she is calling for.

As far as responding to the caller's inquiries, I suggest you ask the person calling you to send you a card copy letter setting forth the basis for the inquiry so that you can have your attorney look it over and call in response.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption