What to do if I have been asked to take a pollygraph test over some missing money from my department?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have been asked to take a pollygraph test over some missing money from my department?

Myself and 2 other people have been asked to do this because of an internal audit that showed the transaction under my log in. I have done all of the training for the past 8 years for everyone that works in this department. At the time this took place everyone used my log in because uper management did not want to pay for more athorities. Should I take the test? What happens if I fail? Will I still be able to get unemployement? I dont know what to do. I feel responceable because it came from my department.

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, if you do not have a written employment contract--and most of us do not--you are an employee at will. As an employee at will, you could be fired at any time, for any reason, including a suspicion (unproven) of theft. Since you could simply be fired, the employer could alternately require you to take a polygraph test to (hopefully) exonerate yourself; if you refuse, or if you fail, they could then fire you (since they could have have you in the first  place). If you are fired, you may not be eligible for unemployment compensation, if your employer chooses to characterize your termination as termination "for cause"--e.g. for theft.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption