What can I do if Ihave an unwanted guest in my apartment who has been told to move out 3 times and hasn’t?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if Ihave an unwanted guest in my apartment who has been told to move out 3 times and hasn’t?

Im 18 years old, 16 weeks pregnant with my second child and she is 17.

Asked on August 30, 2011 Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You definitely have the right to evict her. The question is just the process. There are several different types of legal actoins that could be brought--for example, an action for ejectment or an eviction under the landlord-tenant laws. Which type of action is most appropriate depends on the situation and how/why that other person is residing with you. Ideally, you should contact an attorney to help you; if you can't afford one, try contacting Legal Services--they provide legal services to people who can't afford lawyers. You can also do this yourself, if you need to--try contacting your local courthouse, landlord-tenant and tenancy eviction, explaining the situation, and seeing what forms or process they recommend. Here is a link to a website that may provide some useful information: http://www.law.siu.edu/selfhelp/info/property/Landlord-Tenant%20Rights%20in%20IL.pdf

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption