If Ihave an unpaid eviction thatI need to take care of, how do I do it?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ihave an unpaid eviction thatI need to take care of, how do I do it?

I couldn’t pay my rent anymore and I got a 3 day notice. It ended up getting filed in court then I was served by a police officer. I have since moved out but now I can’t rent from anyone. I need to find out how to take care of what is owed and how to be able to rent a new home.

Asked on August 25, 2011 Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you owe money to your former landlord resulting from the eviction proceeding you need to contact him or her and pay off the amount in full. Should you do so, you need to get a full satisfaction of any judgment that the landlord may have against you (and file it with the court where any judgment may have been entered) and if there is no judgment against you but an unpaid debt, make sure you obtain from the landlord a signed document from the landlord stating that your obligation has been paid in full.

Once you obtain documents from your former landlord stating that your obligations have been paid in full, you need to contact any credit reporting agency and review your credit report. Assuming your obligation owed your former landlord still remains, you need to send the credit reporting agency the documents obtained from your former landlord showing that your obligation to him or her has been resolved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption