What can I do if my in-laws took my late husband’s assets?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my in-laws took my late husband’s assets?

y husband was a active duty member of the army and he had recently passed away. Everything was given to me because I’m his wife. However, what his parents did was go to the bank and withdrew all the funds from his account. There was also a car that was being sent to me but they had the bank sign everything over to them even though everything was left to me. What can I do to get all my stuff back?

Asked on January 23, 2015 under Estate Planning, Nevada


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your husband.

You can sue his parents for conversion.  Conversion is theft in a civil case (lawsuit).  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for conversion) would be a forced sale which means returning  your husband's assets (money, car, etc.) to you.  If his parents have spent the money, you can trace it to what was purchased and recover those items or their value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption