If I have a Will drawn up by an estate lawyer, can I change the will and file it myself in the county court?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a Will drawn up by an estate lawyer, can I change the will and file it myself in the county court?

It was drawn up by a lawyer who wants to charge $750 to make the changes but I only want 2 changes made?

Asked on February 27, 2017 under Estate Planning, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

When updating a Will you can either prepare and sign a new Will that revokes the earlier one, or you can prepare and sign a "codicil" to the earlier Will. A codicil is a separate document that amends an existing Will. For minor modificationss, a codicil will do but for more extensive changes drafting an new Will is preferable. Never try to change a Will by writing in its margins or crossing out words/lines. This can cause confusion and might result in your estate not being passed on as as per your wishes. Accordingly, you might just want to do a whole new Will. Since there are so many online sites that sell Will kits for reasonable amounts, you can do a new one yourself; you do not need to pay an attorney to do it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption